Monday, January 7, 2013

The Problem WIth TSW PvP

I finished the main storyline mission a couple of nights ago. Good stuff. No spoilers here, but I will say that the ending is very satisfying and has me looking forward to future updates. Beyond that, well you'll just have to discover it for yourself when you get there.

After that, I went back to find missions I'd missed or paused on my way. I've found several so far, not only missions from main characters but also side missions I'd ignored or failed to find previously. Some I'm still having trouble with, others I breezed through because I'm much better geared now than I was the first time I tried them. I've got plenty to keep me busy right now, but I can see a point in the not-too-distant future where I'll start running out of stuff to do (or CAN do) in this game.

With that reality in mind, I checked out PvP for the first time yesterday. I entered the Fusang Projects zone, mainly just to check it out and see how this game's PvP plays. Frankly, I was not impressed.

I'm currently geared in level 10 blues and greens, but I didn't survive very long in Fusang. It seems that TSW's PvP zones are mainly intended only for those sporting the very best purple gear. In other words, unless you've been running dungeons and raids pretty consistently and are fully outfitted in 10+ purples, TSW's PvP zones are a complete waste of time as you'll be overwhelmed by better geared players virtually from the moment you enter. How this is supposed to be fun for any player who's not among the most committed and connected in the game is completely beyond me.

Personally, I'd like to see Funcom offer PvP events by gear level. By that I mean that you have events that are open only to those who are geared within certain ranges, say 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, 10+. That would make TSW PvP more of a game about skill and less about who's got the best gear. The way it is now, I can't see a point to anyone who's not already fully outfitted in the very best purple gear available in the game to get involved with PvP.

I really enjoy the PvE in this game. It's why I'm still playing, and even left for a while and came back. At the same time, however, I think it really sucks that what passes for PvP in TSW is really only of value to the tiny minority of players who have managed to acquire a full set of the best gear in the game.

In my opinion, PvP should be fun for everyone who wants to give it a try, not the exclusive province of a tiny segment of the most elite players. What do you think? Do you believe, as I do, that TSW PvP needs a complete overhaul to make it more accessible to lower-geared players or are you ok with it as it is now? What, if any, changes would you like to see?


4 comments:

  1. Rebecca - Nice blog I hope you keep at it.
    I am afraid that PvP is like that in most games, the best implementation of skill vs Gear that I have run into was Star Wars The Old Republic where everyone was bumped up to Max Level in PvP.
    It still needed some tweaking and of course SW:TOR had lots of other issues as a game but the PvP ideas will hopefully bleed over some day to other games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, and I hope you'll keep reading! I probably won't be posting daily (obviously) but I do plan to keep posting regularly. I've started working on a new post that should be up in the next couple of days. Personally, I hope FUNCOM does do something about PvP in TSW because I suspect it could be a lot of fun if it were actually competitive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It seems that TSW's PvP zones are mainly intended only for those sporting the very best purple gear."

    Not really. I have seen people in straight 10.4/10.5 dungeon Black Bullion custom gear die very fast in Fusang (and even faster in Stonehenge). Why? Because PvP in TSW is *very* much dominated by pre-mades. It ain't really the gear, it is the fact the guy(s) stomping you have hundred and sometimes thousands of kills under their belt and you don't.

    I was doing well when I was still in QL10 blues against better geared people, not because I am a PvP God, but because I was going into PvP with experienced team mates with the right group mix of DPS, tankiness and heals covered. Gear matters of course but not as much as many people think.

    I wish TSW had two tiers of PvP... instances for people who can only equip QL9 or less gear... and QL10 people. That way more people would get a more manageable learning curve rather than dying to experienced players so fast they are at the anima well without knowing what the hell hit them.

    But unless you are *really* undergeared, QL10 blues is enough so that if you are PvPing with a group of friends with at least one healer and a sensible mix of abilities, you are not going to be instant road kill unless you run into some 'A list' enemy players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Perhaps I need to try PvP with a skilled crew, not just jumping in to explore by myself. That said, I still believe that there needs to be a better way for players to become good at PvP. After all, the more players who are playing and playing well, the better the game is.

      Delete