Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Still Playing TERA...

...and it definitely qualifies as my "Game of the Moment".

I've pretty much worked my way through "The Secret World", and I'm waiting for the next update, but in the meantime I've been playing the crap out of TERA. The graphics are amazing, as good or better than literally anything out there right now. The combat is great, challenging to be sure but also not so hard it becomes impossible to progress.

The story...well, TSW it ain't, that's for sure, but it's entertaining enough. The community is great and that's always a plus for me in any MMO. In addition, EnMasse just announced that TERA will be going free-to-play on February 5th, so it fits right into my budget.

Even better, because I bought the game back when, I'll have Founder status when free-to-play launches in a week. That's cool, because not only am I riding around on my nifty Regal Frostlion mount right now which I got as a pre-order promo when I bought the game early this year, but as a Founder I'll get a new one called a Terminus mount, which is believed to be this one (although there's no firm confirmation I'm aware of). On top of that, Founders get 8 character slots, a maxed-out 288 slot inventory (this is HUGE, running out of inventory slots has always been problem for me in this game) and other nice perks.

This is the way to do a free-to-play conversion, folks.

I can say this because I've been through it before. Fallen Earth's FTP conversion was so bad I've pretty much stopped playing the game. Star Trek Online's conversion failed to impress as well and I have a lifetime sub to that game. I'll log into both of these every now and then when the mood strikes me (i.e. when I'm bored with what I've been playing or just need a change of scenery), but the truth is that for the most part I've just lost interest in these games, at least in part because as free-to-play games they're a pale shade of what they once were.

The one part of TERA's FTP conversion the jury is still out on for me is the cash shop. Right now, it's pretty lame. There's just not much to buy and what is there isn't especially attractive to me. I'll be interested to see what EnMasse offers for sale when the FTP doors open.

As a player, I want to have fun and I want to be entertained. As long as that continues to be the case, I'll generally continue to play a game. The moment I don't feel I'm getting that from a game, for whatever reason, I move on. It's rare that I give up on a game that pulls me back in later. Aside from Eve-Online, which I left the first time for strictly financial reasons (read: I lost my job and couldn't afford the $15 a month anymore) and returned to later with no prodding from CCP, so far only two games have done that for me: TSW and TERA, both of which I'm active in right now and which I expect to continue to be playing at least for the foreseeable future...that is, assuming they both keep me as entertained as I have been.

After all, that's really what it's all about, having fun. As an ADD gamer, an MMO has to be pretty special to hold my interest long term. There have been many MMOs which have managed that feat short term, six months or less, but only five that have held my interest longer than that: Eve (which I'm no longer playing), Star Trek Online (which I'm barely playing), Fallen Earth (which I'm barely playing), TSW (which I'm not actively playing right at this moment, but will be again once the next content update drops), and TERA (which I'm actively playing right now and logging in almost daily). Considering how much time I spend gaming, that's a pretty short list.

Oh yeah and there's Aion, which is kind of in limbo for me right now. I haven't logged into it in a while, but I expect I'll get back to it one of these days. The truth is that for me TERA is in a lot of ways like an improved Aion, without all the gold spammers and rift-ganking. Truth is, I don't dislike Aion, I just like TERA better.

Ok, that's enough for now. I think I'm going to jump into TERA for while.

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment