Saturday, December 29, 2012

So, About The Game...

Obviously, The Secret World is my Game of the Moment. When you're an ADD gamer, however, you tend to have a lot of these. In the last few weeks my Game of the Moments have been Aion, Firefall beta, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Max Payne 3. Thing is, in my case every now and then a Game of the Moment becomes My Game for a while...that is, I allow myself to become deeply involved with a game and invest a lot if not the majority of my gaming time in playing it. I played Eve-Online on and off (when I could afford it) for about three years, the longest I've ever played any single MMO.

After a while with Eve it really became more about the people than the game. Great folks who I loved gaming with. Even so, after a while even $15 a month can become a burden and when I'd finally progressed so far in the game that solo play was really no longer possible, I finally left Eve for good.

I have a fair amount of experience with MMOs. My first MMO (if you don't count ASCII dungeons on Prodigy) was the original Everquest, which I played for almost a year before I decided that the constant unfilterable stream of racist and homophobic smacktalk in the chat channels wasn't what I was looking for in my online entertainment. After that it was three years in Eve, where I had a great time and even co-founded a corporation (guild/cabal) until I decided that it was time to move on.

After Eve I got involved with Fallen Earth for a while, but since it went free-to-play I've basically lost interest in the game, even though I still have it installed. The main two reason are lack of new content after a certain point during the middle of leveling up in the game and perhaps most importantly, the cash shop set up for this game is terrible and really annoying. Frankly, as much as I once enjoyed this game and even blogged about it, it has unquestionably gone downhill in a major way since going free-to-play. There's just no other way to say it. I'll keep an eye on it to see how things are going, but I strongly suspect that my regular FE playing days may be over.

Then it was Star Trek Online, which I enjoyed enough to buy a lifetime subscription to, the only game I have ever done this for. The problem with STO is the glacial pace at which new content has been released. It's been addressed somewhat since the game was sold and taken free-to-play, but the truth is that for the most part STO just bores me now. As a lifer, I still hold out hope for the future and I won't give up on it completely but the reality is that with the game as it is right now, I'm much more likely to find myself starting up TSW or NeedForSpeed Most Wanted than STO when I'm looking for something to do.

After that, Aion. To be completely honest, I really have no idea how the hell I ever got involved with this game. It's everything I'd staunchly avoided in my previous MMOs...high fantasy, medieval setting, classic profession types, all of it. I proudly tell friends and fellow gamers that I've never played WoW and yet there I was, getting involved with a game that many describe as WoW with wings. My problem with this game is that I'm reaching a point where I need to be stronger than I am to make progress fending off enemies (both PvE and PvP), and succeeding in this game seems to require a lot of time and money, money I'm not so sure I want to spend on it. The jury's really still out on this one, but generally speaking once a game has made it to My Game status other games get far less attention.

And then, there's The Secret World, but you're going to have to wait one more post to hear my thoughts on that. It's Saturday afternoon and I want to spent at least part of it playing instead of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment